An Empath's Commandments
1) People are NOT your pet projects for you to fix.
2) You are NOT an 'emotional mechanic'.
3) Just because you're emotionally fine-tuned (as most Empaths are) does not automatically obligate you to intervene.
4) How others choose to live their life is not your call.
5) Everybody handles trauma/ distress in their own fashion.
6) People CAN change, but ONLY if they have the desire to.
7) Interference is not a promise of good results.
8) There is nothing glamorous or cavalier about self-sacrifice.
9) Forcing change never works on anybody.
10) Accept that you can't change everyone's situation. That struggle is their personal journey, so give them the room they need to find their own brand of enlightenment down the road.
11) Offer your unconditional love and unbiased understanding. This is the most you can do for an ailing heart.
12) A listening ear is extremely helpful and has a bigger impact than you think.
13) All your actions resonate for many years. You just may not be present to see the results.
14) Your gut instinct. The alarm in your head. The nagging voice in the back of your mind. That bad feeling that warns you. LISTEN TO IT.
15) Whatever you put out in this world comes right back to you. So tried and true. A real lesson in karma.
16) Saying curse words, putting a curse on someone, or just the general desire to wish harm upon someone tends to have the negative effect of corrosion on your soul. You will feel it.
17) Meditation does work; helps calm you the heck down! Find any YouTube video on mediation and follow it to clear your brain cobwebs.
18) Walk out of the room if encountering a heated battle, before your "fight or flight response" kicks in. Petty squabbles are never worth the emotional damage it causes to your armor.
19) Arguments are pointless, incendiary and help no one. Unless you're a lawyer.
20) Some people involuntarily extinguish your light. They may not be aware of how toxic they are, but you do. Fixing them is futile and not your responsibility. Get far away from these people as you can.
21) Be the bigger person. If someone says something nasty to you, you say "Thank you for your kind words." and walk away. Be classy. They may scoff, they may retort, but after some time passes one thing is always guaranteed. And that nagging feeling at the back of their mind, it's called shame.
22) You pick up bad emotions, not only good ones. It's important to pinpoint where they come from.
23) If you feel overwhelmed and nothing stressful is occurring in your life, you're accidentally picking up nasty vibes from someone nearby or some local event. Time to get away for a bit.
24) It's narcissistic to believe it's your duty to 'fix' people. Wanting to help and believing you have to are 2 very different things.
25) When in doubt, laugh! Laughter is good for the soul!
26) Know your truth and stick to it! Don't allow others to make you doubt yourself.
27) Know thyself: and know when it's time to walk away from a situation that cannot be changed
29) Prayer in what ever form of your choosing. Use whatever deity you like. The Serenity prayer is one of the best "step back and take a moment" prayers.
30) "Resign as General Manager of the Universe". Though I didn't come up with it, it's always reminded me that our 'abilities' don't give us Admin rights, lol! Nor should we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, even when we can feel every ounce of it.
31) Everything should have an expiration date- that goes for thoughts/ideals that no longer serve our greater good, lessons we may have outgrown (keep the good, though), and even relationships that do not contribute to mutual growth.
32) Concerning oneself with 'what's right' rather than 'who's right' is a good guide to keeping integrity.
33) Help when you can, or if its asked for, but don't take on the full responsibility of another. Give control back to them.
34) Don't try to befriend everyone. Sometimes you can misinterpret someone being lonely for their being total *insert classy, yet tastefully descriptive word here*
35) Get over it ( DON'T LET EVERYTHING GET TO YOU)
36) Don't fix what is not broken (people are more resilient than we think , especially when they are in pain)
37) If it is not yours, don't keep it.
38) If it is yours and you don't want it, get rid of it
39) Accept who you are, love what you are, and respect all that you are
40) Yes listen to your instinct when it comes from your spiritual heart which always comes from LOVE.
41) When you are coming from love and you live in your spiritual heart, you do not need to fear.
42) Be respectful of the emotions of others and refrain from invading into the emotions of others simply because you can.
43) Don't concern yourself with things that don't concern you. If its not your business, don't make it your burden.
44) Blocking, analyzing or running away doesn't help. Feeling, accepting, and letting go do.
45) All negative feelings (your own and others') can be transmuted by love. Get comfortable with feeling love for yourself and others - this will be your salvation as an Empath.
46) You don't have to identify with or keep any negative emotion - your own or anyone else's. It is only energy, and energy becomes a problem when it stagnates. Keep it moving, let it go, transform it to light - whatever works for you.
46) Emotions can be our greatest teachers. Too many emotions that do not belong to us can confuse us, overwhelm us, and disable us. When you are unable to release an emotion, stop and ask yourself if there is a lesson this emotion will help you discover. Ask for help from whatever spiritual guidance you believe in or are able to connect with.
47) don't be conflictive with yourself find inner peace and everything else will just fall into place
48) Practice mindfulness of your current emotion - mindfulness is a great tool to let go of emotional suffering and also helps us to live fully in the moment
49) to heal others you must first heal yourself
50) Not everyone is aware of how their actions affect others. Forgive them, send love, and let it go.